Guide to Prague: falling in love with the magical city

How to: Fall in love with Prague

I know this is a bit overdue but this is my guide to Prague! I truly believe that Prague (or Praha) in the country of Czechia (formerly the Czech Republic) is the most beautiful city I’ve ever visited. It’s full of culture, history and you might fall in love too. Again sorry for the delay all of this moving business and start a new job has had me extremely busy.

I loved Prague because there’s so much history and things to do, it’s not an overwhelming size and very easy and inexpensive to get around, it’s a great value for your money, it’s beautiful with amazing food and views. I felt so safe here and I just adored this colorful fairytale city.

Things to know

Currency

The Czech currency is the crown (Koruna) also referred to as “Kc” and “CZK”. When I went to a bank I was able to see the conversion from Euros and how much I would be charged in total. Because the conversion was in my favor I only took out money twice and I think I maybe spent 70 euros this whole trip on food and sightseeing.

1 Euro equals  27.02 Czech Republic Koruna / 300 Crowns is about 11 Euros

1 US Dollar equals 25.31 Czech Republic Koruna / 300 Crowns is about 11.85 US Dollars
Note that it’s actually typical to tip here at restaurants about 15-20%. In pubs and in cafes people usually just round up.

Getting around

I found it was easiest to buy a day pass for 110 CZK and I actually got quite a lot of use for it. A 30 minute pass is 24 CZK. The only bad side is you can only find passes and tickets at Metro stations and I did find one in a main square but you have to pay in coins or have a visa paywave card. Mostly I used the trams and the funicular railway since I had a stop right directly by my hostel. There’s even a tram (22) called a tourist line that goes by the castle and national theatre. It’s so easy to use and really saves you time in the long run. So I’d definitely recommend it all you have to do is use google maps or google trips and you’ll be on your way. Obviously walking is the best way to see the city as some places aren’t accessible directly on transit as there are many hills in the city and cobblestone streets. Good walking shoes are a must.

Lodging

So while I was in Prague I stayed at the Czech Inn (get it). And I’m not a huge fan of hostels but this one was so great. It was in a good area and very close to public transit. It was modern looking and clean. Everyone who worked there was super helpful and all the ladies in my room were really nice. They also had a decent breakfast and a pub with happy hours downstairs. I definitely recommend it and if you so choose you can use my discount code: SOJOUEN for 10% off if you book on their website.

Main Views/Sites

Charles Bridge

The Charles Bridge

If you see anything, the Charles Bridge is probably at the top of your list. It gets very crowded during the day so if you want that instagram picture perfect selfie of you…you probably have to get up very early to do so. I liked going all the way across it and seeing it from the other side and also going at night.

And here are some daytime view of the bridge on the bridge and from the other side. There’s also a few statues with gold plates (St John Nepomuk) and if you rub it you will one day return to Prague. There’s another also depicted with a woman and a dog  as well as a cross. If you touch the cross and make a wish it will supposedly come true in a year and one day.

Astronomical Clock

This Astronomical clock was installed in 1410 making it the third oldest in the world and the oldest one still operating- which is incredible. Legend has is the man who built it was blinded so he could not make another one and he removed a part of it so it stopped working for 100 years until someone could repair it. It’s definitely worth to check out when the clock rings on the hour and the wooden figures come out.

Prague Castle

Prague CastleYeah Prague has a castle and it’s beautiful and has a stunning view nearby. I’d recommend checking out the inside if you have time (I didn’t) but I did get to see what looked like the changing of the guards. If you’re facing the castle and look to the right you’ll see a spectacular view and good opportunity for a photo and it’s for some reason on top of a double decker Starbucks. And a great opportunity to put on a crown for a photo opp in front of the castle (guys, my last name is King and I couldn’t resist).

Today the castle is the residence of the President but it used to be the home of the Kings of Bohemia and the Holy Roman Empire. It was built in 870 making it 1,000+ years old.

St. Nicholas Church Tower

There are so many places where you can get a good view of prague including this church, the lookout tower I mention below, the two towers on the Charles bridge and the Old Town Hall tower. The Baroque bell tower of St. Nicholas’ Church is a speedy climb up a Gothic tower to a beautiful view of the city. It was super cheap and no line, you just need to take your time as you climb up.

Old Town Square

The Old Town Square is the area where you can find the Clock and the Old Town Hall. All the buildings in this area are beautiful.

The Petřín Lookout Tower

This observation tower that looks a lot like the Eiffel Tower was built in 1891 and offers a great view of the city. Just be careful the part adjacent to it is frozen over because I straight up slipped and bruised my knee pretty badly. If you follow the park down and you can get a closer view.

Other things to see:

Lennon Wall

The Dancing Building

Other view of Prague

Food and drink

So Prague has amazing food and drinks for amazing prices. I opted for some traditional food, craft beer and cafes!

First a group of us from the Hostel asked the front desk for a traditional restaurant and we ate like kings. Delicious Goulash with potato cakes and a pint of beer. Beer here is cheaper than water.

Then I went to two fabulous cafes: coffee and tiramisu at Kavarna Misto and then I had a raspberry limonade and flat white latte at La Boheme Cafe. Then I had a chimney cake- a popular street food, in the summer they’re served with ice cream.

If you like craft beer or Czech beer obviously Prague is the city for you. I definitely recommend the Beer Geek Bar- it was only a 7 minute walk from my hostel and offers a fabulous selection of craft beer from around the world! Sort of like the Kalamazoo Beer Exchange back home.

So those are all my recommendations for Prague, if you ever go have a lovely time! I promise I’ll put the blogs up for Berlin and Budapest soon along with a little guide to the vintage shopping I did in all 3 cities.

Have a lovely day!

xo Liz

Let’s be friends: Insta, Pinterest, Facebook

Related posts:

35 Comments

1. Rebecca
    March 12, 2017

Prague is SO beautiful: I have to say that it’s on my top-three list of favorite places to have visited in Europe! That Dancing Building caught me by surprise; I didn’t see it at all when I went, but I want to go back and see it now! Czech food is absolutely delicious: hearty and stick-to-your ribs good. Goulash is great with bread dumplings, but I also like the fried cheese, “smažený sýr” (which resembles that of a larger mozzarella stick). I’m personally not a huge fan of beer, but I did enjoy its Pilsner beer…for cheap, as you wrote!

Looking forward to your posts on Berlin and Budapest (great cities, too)!

March 12, 2017

Their food is so great, seriously Prague is such a good value and I adore it. I’ll definitely be back. They’ll be up soon 🙂

2. Emma
    March 14, 2017

It looks like you had an incredible time! I especially loved your photos the Petřín Lookout Tower and Old Town Square!

xo, emma

March 15, 2017

Thanks Emma! It was so fun.

3. Kelly
    March 14, 2017

This looks amazing! I need to get out to Europe soon!

Thanks Kelly! Yes you do indeed 🙂

4. Jill
    March 14, 2017

Looks like you had a great time!

Yes I did, thanks for reading Jill 🙂

5. Heather Foltz
    March 14, 2017

Great tips on traveling! I did a two week trip and was only in Prague 1.5 days–your post makes me want to go back. Bad.

March 15, 2017

Thanks Heather! I already want to go back haha.

6. Caitlin
    March 15, 2017

Wow Prague seems so beautiful. I especially love the Czech Inn. That’s just great! Very informative post. 🙂

Thanks Caitlin!

7. Lorena
    March 15, 2017

Prague is definitely one of the places I want to visit someday. I know it’s going to be hard considering my Filipino passport, but I’m not losing hope. This post only strengthen my resolve to find a way to be able to see all these. Thanks

March 15, 2017

I hope you find a way someday! I’m sure you will 🙂

8. Tatum
    March 15, 2017

I remember seeing a bunch of these things while in Prague. I was there during Easter so it was really cool to see the markets in Old Square with all the decorations. You know you can take a beer bath there too??

A beer bath?! That’s something for sure. I definitely need to go back 🙂

9. Joanna
    March 15, 2017

There are so many reasons to fall in love with Prague and you have managed to gather them in such a beautiful post. I have fallen in love with Prague myself when I visited, a few years back. One of my dearest memories is from when I went on the small islands from the middle of the river and watched the ducks being fed by people, with the castle in the background.

It’s seriously so magical! Thanks for reading Joanna 🙂

10. Pascale
    March 15, 2017

What a comprehensive post. And indeed, Prague is a wonderful city. There’s something there for everyone. Thank you for sharing!

11. Nadine
    March 15, 2017

I went to Prague too many years ago so this brings back some nice memories. Your tips are really useful. Maybe it’s time for another weekend trip to Prague for me soon ☺️

March 15, 2017

Definitely! I’m wanting to go back in the near future too 🙂

12. Livi Bee
    March 15, 2017

I’ve heard so many great things about Prague, and I can’t wait to visit!!! The food sounds delicious and Old Town Square reminds me of Grand Place in Brussels! Beer isn’t my thing, but I’ll definitely try it in another country! I hope you didn’t injure yourself too badly.

March 15, 2017

I still haven’t been to Brussels but I so need to go!

13. Jay
    March 16, 2017

I still can’t believe I’ve never visited here. It looks like a fabulous city. It sounds like it’s easy to get around using public transport. I love just hopping on buses or trams and exploring new destinations. Thanks for the great roundup on this location Elisabeth. ~ @rovingjay

March 16, 2017

Thanks for reading Jay!

14. Ariana del rio
    March 16, 2017

So much to see in Prague (praha)!!! thanks for your roundup!!

March 16, 2017

Thanks for reading Ariana!

15. Manon Dijkhuizen
    March 16, 2017

I visited Prague two years ago and I absolutely loved it! It’s such a beautiful city. I also really liked the lookout tower! x

March 16, 2017

Thanks for reading Manon!

16. Aireona
    March 16, 2017

Amazing pictures! Believe it or not, Prague wasn’t even on my radar until now. Great post!

March 16, 2017

You definitely need to check it out 🙂

17. Kyntra Strickland
    March 16, 2017

I’m going this summer and can’t wait! I love your photos and information. I’m glad that the food and drinks aren’t crazy expensive. Thanks for sharing!

March 16, 2017

Thanks for reading Kyntra! You’ll love it, yes because of the exchange rate it’s a really affordable city.

18. Liz
    April 3, 2017

Hi, fellow Liz 🙂 I love love love Prague — great post, and pictures! I also wanted to let you know that I’ve nominated you for the Blogger Recognition Award 🙂
    Here’s the link if you’d like to see: https://runningonliztime.wordpress.com/2017/04/03/blogger-recognition-award/

April 3, 2017

Hello Liz! Thank you, I’m a little behind on blogging and my internet has been not cooperating lately but I’ll get to the tag!